There are so many things you are used to at home and people you always see. That makes it so hard being away from home, but it also makes you appreciate things that you didn't before. There are lots of things I miss about home, but I chose the top 10 things:
1. Friends/Family- Obviously because i'm in Korea I am away from my family and friends. Skyping is very hard as the timing is not the greatest. I think right now its 13 hrs difference, until the clocks change.
2. Driving- I haven't driven in forever. I could drive here but what is the point if I don't know where i'm going or understand their traffic signals.
3. Tim Hortons- Missing cheap and delicious coffee and steeped teas! Plus doughnuts. I've had the doughnuts in Korean and their not so tasty.
4. Having a dryer (laundry dryer)- Not a lot of people have laundry dryers here. Most people hang to dry which can take hours!
5. Living space- When I first got hired to come to Korea, I googled what other teacher apartments looked like..... NONE looked like my tiny 350 sq foot studio. The ones I saw were quite larger and nicer!
6. Cheap fruits and vegetables- In Korea fruits and vegetables are way overpriced because they are imported. But watermelon for 20,000 won is ridiculous!
7. Being able to communicate easily with people
8. Being single was not taboo- Every other person I see walking down the street is a couple. There are couples everywhere. when you are alone it feels like people feel sorry for you because you're not in love. Back home no one cared!
9. Having an oven- It is very uncommon for Koreans to have an oven, hence no one I know has one. Unless they bought the little ovens from Homeplus.
10. Free Healthcare- Everyone knows Canada has free healthcare :)
Welcome to Herxtravels!!
I’m Hilda, the writer behind Herxtravels. Here you can find travel guides, reviews and tips whilst reading about my adventures abroad.
HerxTravels in pictures
HerxTravels on Twitter