As I was on my way to Petit France I was trying to think what my next blog entry would be. I was thinking I was a little annoyed that I couldn't get some people to come out with me. Then I thought, since i'm exploring on my own why not talk about why its good to go out alone. One thing I noticed while living in Korea, is that I do things on my own ALOT! Most of the time my coworkers don't feel like going out, don't wanna do what I want to do or are just plain lazy. So, I decide to go out on my own, rather than staying home. There are so many things to see in Korea and there's no way i'm not going to explore because other people don't want to come.
Solo travel is good for many reasons:
1. Independence~ Travelling alone makes you a lot more independent. I was already independent but for those who don't like being alone, this forces you to do so. You also have the chance to get lost and make new adventures.
2. Personal growth~ There is so much you can learn about yourself while travelling alone. I scream introvert, so for me travelling is bring me out of my shell and making me more vocal and adventurous. I'm talking to more people, trying different foods, doing activities that's I thought i wouldn't like. I've realized certain things aren't of importance to me as they were back home. I just want to be alone, travel, see new things and meet people along the way. You start to realize your own strength and abilities.
"To travel is to take a journey into yourself."- Danny Kaye
3. Make new friends~ I've noticed, the more I go out alone, the more people I tend to meet. I've met more locals when i'm by myself than when I am with my coworkers. I guess maybe they get intimidated by groups of foreigners because their English isn't the best.
4. Making your own itinerary ~ Try to think of a time when you were travelling with friends and you all wanted to do the exact same thing, or spend the same amount of time at places. Did you think of one? Didn't think so. Trying to please everyone while traveling is important. One person wants to go here, one want to go there and one never wants to do anything. It can be very frustrating! Solo travel allows you to so what you want, when you want to and there is no one to complain about why your taking so long.
"He travels the fastest who travels alone."- Rudyard Kipling
5. Money~ Travelling can be expensive, especially for those who like to do it often. When travelling with friends some may prefer to spend more money on hotels or food, which may not be economically good for you. Travelling alone lets you decide how much you want to spend on hotels and food. With me i'm okay with staying at hostels or cheap hotels because I just sleep and shower there, but other people may not be okay with that.
6. No fights~ Last time I went on vacation with my friends there was too many arguments about stupid things. People were in bad moods and having sour faces which I thought was ruining my vacation. Leave the fighting and arguing at home and travel alone! I'm not saying I will never travel with friends or other people, but travelling alone is a completely different experience, especially around the world.
Welcome to Herxtravels!
I’m Hilda, the writer behind Herxtravels. Here you can find travel guides, reviews and tips. Find out more about me here.