This may sound very weird, but I loathe the winter! Yes, I am from Canada. Yes, it does snow a lot. Yes, it is bitterly cold. But it does not mean I like winter! Even though I don't like winter, I am still a little excited to experience winter in Korea. I spend almost every weekend in Seoul since there is always something going on. From what my students and other people I've met, there are 5 things you have to do while in Korea during the winter.
1. Skiing & Snowboarding- Skiing and Snowboarding are very popular in Korea. I am always hearing stories from my students about their ski trips with their family. Or the kids take a vacation to go to the East or up North to the mountains to go skiing. There are lots of ski resorts to choose from.
2. Indoor/ Outdoor skating- There are so many places to go skating in Korea. There is even an indoor skating rink in Metapolis, a mall by my house. Lots of places in Seoul will make outdoor skating rinks. Great day and night time activity. I'm not good at skating, but of course I will do it for the experience.
3. Snow spa- Koreans love spas. The winter time is one of the best times to go to a spa in Korea. They have lots of different spas. One that I found interesting was the water park spas. In North America water parks are always closed in the winter because no one would go to them. Well, in Korea, the water parks stay open. Caribbean Bay, one of the largest and most popular water parks in Korea, stay open year round. They have outdoor pools, indoor pools, saunas and spas. The water in the outdoor is turned into a hot spa so people can soak outside. Sounds amazing huh?
4. Musicals and Performances- Up til now, I still have never been to a musical. I've always wanted to go but it just hasn't happened. In Toronto, around Christmas time there are always so many shows to watch. This is the same in Korea. There are lots of concerts with popular Korean artists, lots of Christmas musicals and plays. I plan on finally seeing the Nutcracker.
5. Christmas lights- Who doesn't love to just walk around and look at all the Christmas lights? I loved driving through neighborhoods back home, just to see Christmas lights. In Seoul, and other cities there are so many light displays. They already have lights up at the Lotte Department Store in Myeongdong. There will be a big Christmas light show at the Cheonggyecheon Stream! I'm actually really excited for this!
In terms of sightseeing, winter may be one of the roughest times to do it. But, at the same time there is also a lot going on at this time. Even though it may be freezing outside it is always good to get out and have fun. There are too many things going on in the city!
HerxTravels in pictures
HerxTravels on Twitter