- 1 What area is Asia?
- 2 How many countries are in Asia?
- 3 What is the smallest area in Asia?
- 4 How did Asia get its name?
- 5 What is Asia famous for?
- 6 What is the world’s largest country?
- 7 Which is the largest company in Asia?
- 8 How many countries are on the planet?
- 9 Which country is the smallest in the world?
- 10 What is the largest landlocked country in Asia?
- 11 Who is the poorest country in Asia?
- 12 Which country has lowest population in Asia?
What area is Asia?
East Asia is politically divided into eight countries and regions: China, Mongolia, North Korea, South Korea, Japan, Hong Kong, Taiwan, and Macau. South Asia is politically divided into nine autonomous countries: Sri Lanka, Bangladesh, India, Afghanistan, Pakistan, Bhutan, Nepal, Iran, and the Maldives.
How many countries are in Asia?
There are 48 countries in Asia today, according to the United Nations.
What is the smallest area in Asia?
The Maldives ranks as the smallest Asian nation with 116 square miles in total area.
- The Maldives. The Maldives occupies the southern part of Asia, and it constitutes 26 atolls in the Indian Ocean.
How did Asia get its name?
The word Asia originated from the Ancient Greek word Ἀσία, first attributed to Herodotus (about 440 BCE) in reference to Anatolia or to the Persian Empire, in contrast to Greece and Egypt. It originally was just a name for the east bank of the Aegean Sea, an area known to the Hittites as Assuwa.
What is Asia famous for?
Nonetheless, Asia, the most populous of the continents, contains some three-fifths of the world’s people. Asia is the birthplace of all the world’s major religions —Buddhism, Christianity, Hinduism, Islam, and Judaism—and of many minor ones.
What is the world’s largest country?
Russia is the largest country by far, with a total area of about 17 million square kilometers. Despite its large area, Russia – nowadays the largest country in the world – has a relatively small total population.
Which is the largest company in Asia?
China Petroleum & Chemical Corporation (further Sinopec) was the largest Asian company by sales in 2018.
How many countries are on the planet?
Countries in the World: There are 195 countries in the world today. This total comprises 193 countries that are member states of the United Nations and 2 countries that are non-member observer states: the Holy See and the State of Palestine.
Which country is the smallest in the world?
The smallest country in the world is Vatican City, with a landmass of just 0.49 square kilometers (0.19 square miles). Vatican City is an independent state surrounded by Rome. Vatican City is not the only small country located inside Italy.
What is the largest landlocked country in Asia?
Kazakhstan. Kazakhstan is the world’s largest landlocked country. It is bordered by Russia, China, the Kyrgyz Republic, Uzbekistan, Turkmenistan, and the landlocked Caspian Sea.
Who is the poorest country in Asia?
Poorest Asian Countries 2021
- North Korea. Based on available data, North Korea is the poorest country in Asia, with a per capita GDP of just $651.
- Nepal. Nepal is the second-poorest country in Asia.
Which country has lowest population in Asia?
The least populous country in Asia is the Maldives, with an estimated population of 345,000. The Maldives is also one of the smallest countries on earth with just 298 square kilometers (115 square miles) of area, 99% of which is water.